Sunday, April 4, 2021

Maigret Sets a Trap (2016)


 ☆ ☆ ½

Maigret Sets a Trap (2016) – A. Pearce

Matlock!  Uh, I mean, I chose this TV movie starring Rowan Atkinson as Inspector Maigret because I was looking for something easy on the brain (or because I am old).  But it was so unchallenging as to be rather a waste of time, in fact.  Atkinson shows nothing of his verbal or physical wit (from either Blackadder or Mr. Bean) and seems to be purposefully underplaying instead. The setting in 1950s Paris is nicely art-directed and the story from Georges Simenon is perhaps clever enough – the clues take a while to show up but after they do, Maigret is all over them, yielding a conclusion that would be hard to otherwise deduce. Not sure I need to watch the other episode on the DVD (from the library).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment