Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)


☆ ☆ ☆

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) – R. Howard

I don’t know if there is really a difference now between a Star War franchise movie and any other sci-fi franchise’s output.  I guess I’ve put more emotional investment into Star Wars since that trip to the theatre with my Dad in 1977.  But I’ll admit that I haven’t been the most steadfast fan (I skipped some of that “first” trilogy) and Solo, while satisfactory, probably wouldn’t lead me to persist further.  (That said, I’m sure I’ll watch the final film in the final trilogy later this year).  Ron Howard (a middling director) is a steady hand for the Kasdans’s screenplay (after the initial directors were dumped) but there’s no real panache here (despite the typically epic special effects).  Alden Ehrenreich makes a solid go of it, wavering between a half-hearted Harrison Ford impersonation and something more independent.  The plot gives us a sort of “origin story” or at least faithfully re-enacts some of the events that were mentioned in dialogue in the other films.  So, we see the infamous card game in which Solo wins the Millennium Falcon from Lando Calrissian (Donald Glover).  And more importantly we see how Han and Chewy (Joonas Suotamo) first met.  But, hey, what’s Woody Harrelson doing here?  This isn’t his sort of gig and he feels out of place as a gun for hire stealing/smuggling the MacGuffin for the baddies (either the Empire or some other evil entity called Crimson Dawn).  Female characters are given relatively short shrift (Emilia Clarke, Thandie Newton, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge try their best).  Paul Bettany is a nondescript bad guy.  In the end, it’s passable but lacking the verve you need, particularly from a rebel like Han Solo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment