Saturday, September 19, 2020

An American Werewolf in London (1981)




 ☆ ☆ ☆

An American Werewolf in London (1981) – J. Landis

Although there is seemingly an endless supply of 21st century horror films, reading the reviews suggests that there are few diamonds in the mine (and I’ve watched them already – but please, tell me if I’m wrong).  So, I’ve returned to the past, to a film I vaguely remember.  As it turns out, it is only average (an easy watch) but notable for blending horror with light comedy, I guess (director John Landis made his mark in that other genre).  David (David Naughton) and Jack (Griffin Dunne) are hiking in northern England when they are attacked by a wolf creature and Jack is killed.  Predictably, David shows some unusual symptoms and when the full moon arrives, we get some Rick Baker special make-up effects.  For 1981, these are pretty good.  But the plot has nowhere to turn, as love interest Jenny Agutter tries helplessly to save David.  One interesting angle not found in other films in this genre: when innocents are killed by a werewolf, they must forever walk the Earth in limbo, gradually decomposing, and visible only to the werewolf (and each other). But I still prefer the Lon Chaney Jr. film.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment