Saturday, August 5, 2017

A Bay of Blood (1971)


☆ ☆ ½

A Bay of Blood (1971) – M. Bava


I keep hoping that I will find another good Mario Bava film.  There is a big cult around him but they seem to be primarily focused on Bava’s ability to stage a gruesome (and bloody) murder, rather than my interest in the creepy/spooky mises-en-scene he was able to create in such classics as I Vampiri (1957), Black Sunday (1960), Black Sabbath (1963), and even Planet of the Vampires (1965).  I suppose his success with Blood and Black Lace (1964), which saw fashion models in an elite agency picked off one by one, encouraged him in this direction.  A Bay of Blood is supposedly the progenitor of the slasher film, inspiring Friday the 13th (1980) and apparently being ripped off directly in Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981).  I wasn’t a big fan of that genre (although I did see Friday the 13th Part III (1982) in the theatre in 3D), so why did I watch this?  I guess I am still hoping to find a clearer missing link between Bava the mentor and his protégé Dario Argento (who took the giallo form to higher heights with The Bird with Crystal Plumage and then creeped/grossed me out with Deep Red, Suspiria, and Inferno but has recently made nothing but crap).  Anyway, A Bay of Blood does capture some spooky feeling out there by the lake (I mean, bay) where a few lonely houses stand and Bava’s prowling camera peers at and stalks the cast.  An initial murder planned to spur an inheritance leads to a virtual killing spree (not all by the same murderer, it seems) and a lot of opportunities for Bava to go grand guignol (including with some young people who stumble into the action and get naked and dead).  But, in the end, I guess I’m telling you that late Bava doesn’t seem to be worth it -- unless you are a part of the gore cult (and I’m not).      

No comments:

Post a Comment