Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The Killer (1989)


☆ ☆ ☆ ½

The Killer (1989) – J. Woo

Back in the day, I really enjoyed the movies of John Woo – so much so that I think I went and saw Hard Target (1993; with JCVD) in the theatre.  But years have passed and Woo’s profile has dropped; originally, he was touted as a grand stylist of action; in Hollywood he was reduced to making a Lost in Space TV movie; now he is back in China making grand epics.  He seems to have lost his personal style which paid homage to Melville and the honour among men (thieves or cops or both).  The Killer was the centrepiece of his oeuvre up to that point, starring Chow Yun-Fat and Danny Lee as hitman and cop, respectively, who form a bond over a blinded nightclub singer.  Woo brought all of his stylistic trademarks to bear, with slow-motion flying doves in a church, syrupy Cantonese music, Mexican stand-offs galore, and some very sensitive tough guys trying to follow their feelings while also unleashing lovingly choreographed ultraviolence on anyone in their way.  Possibly due to the fact that I watched a version of the film with dubious discontinuous subtitles, it just didn’t resonate with me the same way this time.  However, my recent rewatches of Hard Boiled (1992) – 4 stars, and A Better Tomorrow (1986) – 4 ½ stars, suggest that Woo did have the goods.  Perhaps I’ve been too hard on The Killer this time? Melville’s Le Samourai (a key inspiration) is a personal favourite (not sure how that might influence my verdict).


No comments:

Post a Comment