Friday, May 19, 2017

The Kid (1921)


☆ ☆ ☆ ½

The Kid (1921) – C. Chaplin


I was a relative late-comer to Chaplin, watching Buster Keaton films before I turned to Monsieur Verdoux (an atypical late Chaplin, but great) and then City Lights, The Gold Rush, The Circus, Modern Times, and The Great Dictator all in the last 10 years or so.  And only now have I turned to The Kid.  I suppose I steered away from Chaplin generally and The Kid specifically because of his sentimental streak.  To me, it seemed to weaken or cheapen a film.  (Verdoux, in contrast, is dark and cold as ice).  Of course, that meant that it took me years to see and appreciate the amazing comic moments in all these Chaplin movies.  The Kid, which shows the Tramp finding and raising young Jackie Cooper despite their poor circumstances, does have an extra high quotient of sentimental moments relative to other Chaplin films.  The heartbroken mother gives up her child; Charlie nearly loses Jackie to the workhouse/orphanage; etc. But there are funny moments as well, perhaps not as funny as in the subsequent features, but some good stuff (and a bizarre dream sequence in Heaven).  In the end, I’ve grown to appreciate Chaplin’s genius, especially in the planning of the gags, but I could still do without the schmaltz. (For what it is worth, this review is based on a 50 minute version of the film, seemingly produced by Chaplin in 1971 with his own musical score; the music may have hurt the picture). 

No comments:

Post a Comment