Sunday, July 17, 2016

Virgin Witch (1972)


☆ ☆


Virgin Witch (1972) – R. Austin

I should have known better.  But in my never-ending quest to find spooky supernatural films (without gore, if possible), I descended into the realm of sub-Hammer sexploitation.  Apparently filmed just as Britain was opening itself up to T&A, that’s about all that is on offer here.  The acting is rather somnambulant and the plot (which sees two young girls runaway to London to become models but get mixed up in a witches coven) is far inferior to The Devil Rides Out (1968) or even The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975), two of its peers (the latter if you add sexuality to the mix, although that is more of a spoof of The Old Dark House, 1932).  (If anything good can be said for the plot here, it's that the women have all the power, including the supposed victim.)  At any rate, all I can say is “look elsewhere”.  I’ll tell you if I find something good in this genre (Suspiria, 1977, and Rosemary’s Baby, 1968, are still at the top of the heap).
  

No comments:

Post a Comment