Saturday, July 17, 2021

The Princess Bride (1987)


 ☆ ☆ ☆ ½

The Princess Bride (1987) – R. Reiner

So, I have to admit that I was never really a part of the cult of The Princess Bride, quoting its ridiculous (but yes, highly quotable) lines at every opportunity (but I know many of you are). Nor have I read William Goldman’s original book which he adapted for director Rob Reiner (a fan of the book). Nevertheless, I thought this would be a fun movie to watch as a family. Especially since it is an embellished exaggerated fairy tale and my kids already know the form. It was even funny that they moaned and groaned at the start when the film begins with some romantic “true love” scenes between Westley (Cary Elwes) and Buttercup (Robin Wright) given that young Fred Savage (to whom the story is being told by his grandfather Peter Falk) also complains about the same (ugh, kissing).  But soon enough there was enough action, far-fetched and lampooned as it is, but still action and enjoyable from the kids’ point of view (even as some of the witty banter may have flown over their heads).  At any rate, there are many adventuresome moments as Dread Pirate Roberts… I mean Westley… attempts to rescue Buttercup first from kidnappers Wallace Shawn, Andre the Giant, and Mandy Patinkin, and then later from Chris Sarandon (the Prince who seeks to marry her) and Christopher Guest (evil Count). There’s also torture and even despondency with a risk of suicide – but it’s all so broad and even zany (i.e. Billy Crystal and Carol Kane’s bit) that it’s hard to be concerned, even in a family film.  We enjoyed it but I can’t say that I’m fully converted – I prefer something even more over the top (such as Monty Python and the Holy Grail – but that’s not for kids!).

No comments:

Post a Comment